June 7, 2007

Kids....

So. I am watching my sister's son. She's not really a blood relation, but I consider her close enough to be my sister.
Anyway, this has been a most interesting experience for me. For some reason I am good with kids. I don't really understand why. I feel like I have no real connection with most people, yet kids under age 8 seem to adore me and will mostly listen to me.

Z~ has been pretty good for me in the month since I started to watch him. There have been a few bad days, he is 5 after all, but my days have been pretty good so far. He has been trying to be very good around my son also. I have noticed that Sol has been speaking more coherently and he seems happier in general to see a "big brother" type figure almost every day.

What has surprised me is that I have learned a great deal as well. I have discovered the power of charts and x's and check marks. I also discovered that I am a pretty good teacher. Z~ has been learning to swim and I have also been making him learn his alphabet better. His number skills are already really good, for his age. Probably the most important thing I have learned is that places like Chuck E Cheese turn kids into demons.

I just never expected to be very good at watching kids. I've been having fun with my 2 boys.

No comments: